Rumbaugh Historical Oration Contest
Chairman: Bill Baker
Joseph S. Rumbaugh Historical Oration Contest
The Philadelphia Continental Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution (SAR) invites all high school students (9th through 12th grades) interested in the American Revolution to participate in the Joseph S. Rumbaugh Historical Oration Contest. The contest is open to all students attending public, parochial, or private high schools as well as home-schooled students in that same grade range. The contest begins at the local level from which students may eventually advance to the state and national levels leading up to the annual SAR Congress in July 2024.
Judged based upon its:
- Historical accuracy and
- Relevance to the current day.
National prizes include
- First Place Winner $8,000;
- 2nd Place Runner-up $5,000; and
- 3rd Place Runner-up $3,000 cash prize;
- Plus Olympic-sized medals for the above
- Other finalists (4th through 6th Place runners-up) are awarded $500 and
- All other national contestants are awarded $200.
The PCC Contest Information Form provides an overall summary for Philadelphia Continental Chapter contestants.
Additional information can be found on the National Society website. Click here for a 3-page summary from the National website.
The first step is to enter the local competition. If there are applications, the Philadelphia Continental Chapter will hold a local Rumbaugh Oration event in Mid-April, 2020 in the Philadelphia area.
All submissions are due on or before midnight on Sunday, 31 Mar 2023 (in-hand or postmark), and will include:
Biographical Sketch (page 2 of Contestant Entry Form)
Copy of Contestant’s Oration (MS Word or PDF)
Photograph (a snapshot will work)
Calendar for 2024 Oration Contestants
March 31 - Philadelphia Continental Applications Due
Mid-April - Philadelphia Continental Chapter Contest
May 4 - SAR Pennsylvania Contest in ...TBD...
July 13-20 - SAR National Congress in Lancaster, PA
Calendar for National Congress (Finalists only)
Thursday, July 11, 2024
- Arrive at hotel before 4:00PM,
- Reception Dinner at 7:00 PM location TBD
Friday, July 12, 2024
- Day free to sight-see.
- Sound check at 4:00 PM in ballroom.
- Assemble for competition at 7:30 PM in ballroom,
- Finals begin at 8:00 PM
Saturday July 13, 2024
- Youth Awards Luncheon (only National Champion and chaperone(s) attend)
- National Champion presents the winning oration to luncheon attendees
- All finalists depart after 4:00 PM